Tuesday, March 4, 2014

#YES_TO_OMAN

It was just like my first call up, says an emotional Al Habsi

MUSCAT — Injury is a player’s biggest challenge and greatest fear. There are injuries that have destroyed promising careers and there are those that have wilted player’s wills in recovery. It takes hard work, determination and a whole lot of support to come back from injury and Ali al Habsi has demonstrated all these qualities despite having a lengthy seven month lay-off. “It was the toughest period of my career when I was injured, it was the support of the Oman medical staff, the support and love of the people and my hard work that brought me back” said Al Habsi. What most excites him though, is the opportunity to play once more for his beloved Oman. “When I received the call up, I felt the same elation as I felt when I got my first call up for Oman.
It is always an honour and a joy to represent Oman and I am very happy to be back playing for Oman”, said an elated Al Habsi, excitement and emotion laced with his every word. There have been calls for Al Habsi not take the field today, with Faiz al Rushaidi impressing and doing very well in his stead possibly deserving a place in the starting 11 for at least the last qualifier. Oman coach Paul le Guen made very clear his stance however, saying that he would not be dropping his best player and skipper. “I respect Faiz for stepping up and contributing to the team when it was asked of him, he has played very well but I must also respect Ali who has been tremendous for the Oman team, we can’t abandon him because he has been injured, he is our captain and leader and we must not forget that” said Le Guen.
Le Guen was also quick to praise his goalkeepers, saying his team would have been much better if he was spoilt for choice like he was in this position, with three top quality goalkeepers in Al Habsi, Al Rushaidi and Mazin al Kasbi. It has indeed been a while since fans of the Red Warriors have seen their captain and arguably one of Oman’s most successful players taking the pitch. It will indeed be a celebration of Asian Cup qualification and football when Ali al Habsi takes the pitch today, a cherished son long gone finally returned.

Tuesday 04th, March 2014 / 21:46 Written by  
in MainSports

No comments:

Post a Comment